Final QAL post


Here is the final post for the Quilt-a-Long.  Join this QAL at any time. The starter post is here and the Flickr group to share your progress shots is here.  This is where I attach the backing to the quilted top.  I was surprised to find that this step was very quick and easy and I am pretty happy with the result.  Here was what I did as my final steps.

1.   Trim the batting so that it lines up with the edges of the quilt top in each of the six blocks.  Join the six blocks together sewing right through the quilt top and the batting.  I used a 1/2" seam allowance.  Once I pressed the seams open, they did not lay as flat as I would have liked so I sewed lines about 1/8" away from the seams sewing the seam allowances down.


2.   Lay backing fabric out on the floor / table and lay the quilted quilt top on top. I bought a duvert cover from IKEA which is super soft and cheap too.  I cut open three of the seams and then laid it flat out and it was way big enough for this quilt.  Baste.  I baste with safety pins although I do fancy trying out spray basting, especially for smaller projects.


3.  I then straight line quilted along the seams lines, around each of the inner and outer circles and around the outside of the skinny sashing and these quilting lines seems to be enough to attach the backing nicely to the front.  I bound the quilt using offcuts from the duvet cover I used for the back which match pretty well with the duskier browns in the La Petite Ecole Layer Cake I used for the quilt.


And that's it.  We're done.  All finished.  Thank you all for quilting along with me - it's been way more fun than I ever would have thought.

Comments

  1. Well... You are done. Some of us haven't even started quilting yet :-( It looks fab Lynne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another congratulations to you Lynne - the QAL has been a success and no doubt the finished quilts will appear in the Flickr group over the next months

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was fun QAL to audit. I enjoyed the process of the quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing how you finished it. I think this is the most worrisome part of the quilt-as-you-go method - how will you get those blocks together. I think this quilt looks wonderful all laid out on your floor, by the way. I am hoping to quilt my last two blocks this week and finish mine off too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the most brilliant QAL!!! Encore encore xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is still definitely on my list. Beautiful blocks and the quilt is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh it looks great, and there is just enough quilting on the back to work out perfectly! I need to get back working on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great.....but I'm with Laura Jane....some of us are not nearly done yet. That reminds me I should get back to finishing mine, I got side tracked as usual. I thought the whole thing was great fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wahooo! Well done, Lynne. Funnest quilt-a-long ever (even though my bib is still just a ring).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for a great QAL, Lynne! Quilting my top is thiiiiis close to getting to the top of the to-tackle list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was going to do this QAL but just never found the time but I do have the pattern and hope to do it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I'm going to put some binding on the square that I finished quilting. Square number 2 is in a time-out because it is lumpy. I have had a thought about what to do with wheels 3 and 4. I think they will make awesome round pillows with very cool buttons in the centers. Boy, this is a long post. Sorry. Anyway, this quilt along was really fun and kept me out of trouble for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay to Lynne - loved following along :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. And thank you for hosting this qal Lynne, it has been heaps of fun. Mine is now on its way to a friend in Israel! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lynne this QAL has been great - Thankyou! I'm going to handquilt mine so it'll take forever but I'll post pics in the group when I'm finally done :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment away peeps :-)