My Week On Instagram

Each week I do a quick round up of my week on Instagram (where I'm @lilysquilts) because otherwise the blog misses a lot of my daily quilt news.  My first piece of news of the week was the announcement that I will be teaching modern quilting for a week in France this summer.  Go to Crafty Retreats to find out more.


 In preparation for the retreat, I dug out an old WIP, my EPP version of Bangles (from Sarah Fielke's book Hand Quilted With Love), because I imagine we will be spending long lazy summer evenings sitting outside sipping wine and EPPing.


Over the weekend I went to a one day course on using your Digital SLR camera.  I am ashamed to say I've had mine for about five years and never taken it off Auto so the course was a real eye opener for me.  From now on, aperture priority, ISO, shutter speed and white balance will be my new friends.    During the day I took a few photos of a little bundle of Oakshott Scandinavia.


 I also took along an old quilt of mine and took photos of it draped over an old truck. 


This week the new issue of Love Patchwork & Quilting arrived and was, as usual, filled with lots of lovely projects.  Those included my "Bass" quilt and pillow made from Art Gallery pure elements and the memorandum print from Cherie by Frances Newcombe for AGF in the background


As usual my BOM was in there too.  Named after imaginary grande dames of yesteryear, the BOM was designed to have a Dear Jane feel to it - complicated traditional blocks with one print against white.  They're all made from Mimosa by A Point Of View for Windham Fabrics, a wonderful feedsack line in bright modern colours.


And as usual, I love to pick four favourites from the magazine.  This week two of the favourites were from the same project by Karen Lewis (Blueberry Park) as I loved it so much and there were also projects by Elizabeth Dackson (Don't Call Me Betsy) and Amanda Castor (Material Girl Quilts).

No week on Instagram would be complete without new fabrics and this week I put together a bundle of Kaffe Fassett prints for my next quilt and also received the first two month's bundles in Westwood Acres "I Want Her Scraps" fabric club where each month you receive a glorious FQ bundle together with a block pattern designed by a different blogger each month.


And finally, combining both new fabric news and new photography skills, I took this photo of a beautiful bundle of Flower Patch (by Lori Holt for Riley Blake designs sourced this week from Fat Quarter Shop) using my camera set on aperture priority.  By widening the aperture, the depth of field shrinks so that only the point where you focus the lens should be in focus.  Pretty cool, huh?

Comments

  1. So many beautiful things happen on instagram while I am sleeping or working it seems. Thank you for sharing here too. I sure wish I could come to France to spend the week with you, but not this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Hexie quilt looks like a great project for summer stitching. I just put the book on reserve at the local library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Learning more about my camera is on my to-to list and your tips were nice to read.
    You have yourself a wonderful time in France - is it feeling real yet?? I could see it being something that just feels like dream still!!! Love to read about the adventure you are on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. France, Wine AND epp?!! Be still my heart!!
    Your pics are looking great! You're unstoppable!! XX!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your EPP project - hope you finish this one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment away peeps :-)