CRAFTING IS COOL!

Crafting is Cool.  You know that.  I know that.  The non-crafting muggles don't yet know it.  But Material World by Perri Lewis may just convert a few more people to the realisation that crafting can be fresh, modern, artistic and a personal expression of creativity and individualism.


The book gives you snapshots of a whole range of crafts including embroidery, cross stitch, millinery, leather work, macrame, printing and of course patchwork.  


For each craft, there's an outline how-to.  Then there is some insight and advice from leaders in the field, eg Philip Treacy in the Millinery section.  


After that, there is a project in each section such as the stamp covered shoes (above) and the patchwork chair (below).


And the whole book is interspersed with chapters all about the modern crafting community including advice about connecting online, about joining local crafting groups and about running a crafting business.


If, like me, you're hooked on one craft but sometimes think about branching out or if you're a non-crafter with an interest in taking up something new but not sure where to start, this is a really good first step into the world of modern crafting.

Comments

  1. Looks like a great book, but I love those shoes, they are really pushing the envelope heehee! Seriously, they are amazing. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, old times revisited! That sounds like a fun book!
    I’ve done Macramé and i’ve made skirts and jackets from leather and suede pieces... I’m giving away my age now, aren’t I?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmmm... patchwork seat covers. THAT has got me thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been waiting for this book. Thanks for the little look inside as amazon haven't let me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks lovely, but maybe one to browse at the library?
    Good Grief, I sound 103 years old. What happened to me?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a great book but it's going to have to go some to get me interested in macramé *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sadly for every good craft, there is a bad one, but the book looks fab x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm, crafting tips from Topshop? And only 10 fabrics together? Interesting concepts on both counts ma'am!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like a great book!

    Amanda Rose
    http://sewmuchtosay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment away peeps :-)