We did make pyjamas in the end

If you're looking for a quick easy and fun sewing project your kids could get involved in, look no further.  My daughters and I chose a couple of flannels from the Fat Quarter Shop (who have an impressive array).  We ordered 2 yards of each (for a child up to about 1.4 metres; taller than that, you'd want to order more).  Bought a pyjama sewing pattern and set to work. 


One daughter was interested in sewing.  One thought the idea was a complete waste of time.  But the ten year old who was interested was able to pin and cut the pattern and sew the main seams (although needed help with the curved crotch seam).  I hemmed and inserted elastic.  Each pair took about an hour or two.  


For the PJ tops, we bought long sleeved t-shirts, cut out a piece of the PJ bottom fabric, ironed edges under, starched them to make them hold, spray glued them onto the PJ top front and then blanket stitched around.  Admittedly the pics I have don't really show off the PJs much but it was Christmas and there always seemed to be so much to do - watching films, eating chocolates and all that crammed in between numerous naps on the sofa.

Comments

  1. Lynne,
    what a great idea. When I looked at the first photo I had to look again, I thought it was my 11 year old who is rarely seen without a hat. Must find a pj pattern and have a go.
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cute! I still shudder at the thought of making clothes. All those pattern pieces, so many chances to eff it up ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Lynne - they turned out brilliantly and I love the T-shirt top idea with the fabric panel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well how cute and fun is that! I'm so jealous that I don't have a daughter or granddaughter. When my close great-nieces were young, who are now both in college, I unsucessfully tried to interest them in sewing. They just wanted me to make them things. They did enjoy making t-shirts using transfer paper.

    I might steal your idea to make some PJs for my "way to tall for his age" 5 year old grandson. Also, I will definitely share this idea with my best friend who has three young granddaughters--they all wanted PJ separates like this for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely ladies I have to say (obviously as they are part of my gene pool)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love homemade PJ pants! (they are the only ones that are ever long enough for me! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great project. I started sewing with my mom when I was 5 and it led to a life long hobby. I am glad you are sewing with your kids, they will appreciate the fact that you took the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. pj's are a great project for kids! last year i did a class for my daughter's friends and they were all so excited about making their own pair!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO much fun. The best part is I don't have to do this with my kids b/c my sister showed up with homemade flannel pj's for my kids already made. Woohoo! Well done girls. You're lucky you have a mom with patience who is willing to share her sewing machine with amateurs. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely!

    I remember making pjs in my teens ... I used to make a lot of clothes but I seem to have lost the knack/patience for that bloomin tissue pattern paper!! ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those pictures are so funny; first twin looks like she is in a hostel (not the good type of hostel), and second twin looks like lady of the manor!!

    I will make mine clothes when they stop growing for 5 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would live in my flannel pjs--I hope they love theirs too! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heh, I suspected #2 would succumb in the end to the homemade ones ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment away peeps :-)