My month so far in Ringo Pie

As some of you know, I am in a bee called Ringo Pie where we make paper pieced pictures and, frankly, this bee has been a struggle for me all year.  I've stayed in because everyone in there is so lovely and so talented and I've been too star struck to leave the only cool gang I've ever been in but I really find this kind of piecing very difficult and not enjoyable at all.  The others seems to love it but I just end up tearing my hair out over the things I make and, with the exception of the very first block I made for Kerry (Penguin Books), haven't loved one thing I've made in this bee.   Anyway, in my month I asked for "Design Classics" with these British stamps as the inspiration pic.  

'British Design Classics' Stamps

First block in was this wonderful telephone box from Amber One Shabby Chick.  Look at the union jack handle and the Big Ben on the dome!  These are mostly disappearing with the advent of a newer sleeker (uglier) design oh phonebox in the 80s or 90s and of course with the advent of mobile phones.  They also smelled of wee and had lots of little advertising cards in for ladies offering all sorts of services but we still love these phones boxes.

For Lynne

Next came Corey Little Miss Shabby with a perfect little original mini with my name on the number plate.  We used to drive around in one of these with Granny Smith whose main driving philosophy was that only bad drivers used the brakes - more skilled ones like her managed without - we were airborne sometimes.


Next up was Lucinda with the classic plastic chair.  Lucinda is known for her chair blocks so it was fitting that she made me this one.


And then yesterday in the post, I received this marvel from Kerry, verykerryberry, one of the most talented current modern British quilters as far as I am concerned.  It's a Mary Quant dress - the pocket on the dress really is a pocket and look at the detail of the inside of the neck of the dress with the stitching.  Stunning and perfectly pieced.  I had a red dress which was kind of like this but was made of a wool, had short sleeves and a polo neck so you weren't quite sure when to wear it.  On a sunny day you boiled because it was made of wool but in the winter your arms were freezing.  That's what I don't get about fashion.


Kerry also sent me two hexagons for my hexalong together with some wonderful Lakehouse fabrics to add into the mix.  Look at the printed details on the first hexagon.  Thank you so much Kerry, what a wonderful package of goodies.



Hexalong fabrics - gift from Kerry

Comments

  1. Interesting blocks; I particularly love the mini. I drove a red mini van for about twelve months back in the late seventies (it was my uncle's and he was overseas) so that block could have been made for me (since it has my name on it! LOL).

    I am a relatively new quilter and I have been carefully avoiding paper piecing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theses blocks are super. For me, paper piecing is something I keep well clear of so well done you for sticking with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing blocks, I look forward to seeing the rest when they arrive - you'll have an interesting quilt to so off at the end of this struggle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh lovely!
    I am so fashionable I thought Kerry's was a Bobby Charlton England football top!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely blocks, especially love the phonebox!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all these British icons - is someone doing Concorde or is that your one Lynne! You didn't say how big the blocks were?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, it was really worth struggling through the blocks you made (which were all amazing by the way) just to get this lot! Absolute works of art! And I totally agree about Kerry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all your blocks for Ringo Pie. I'm fascinated and (slightly encouraged!) that you find it tricky - because your final blocks always look bloomin a-mazing.

    I find foundation piecing such a confusing, disorienting mind-f* that I've now got a real phobia about it!

    I tried a flying geese block about 6 months ago (I managed 2 quarters and then retreated - wailing) so it must be time to try again!

    These (and yours) are so inspiring I think I'll just have to dive in ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would never guess that you feel so challenged by the paper piecing. The fact that you stretch yourself endears me to you even more. I don't know if I'd have the courage to stay in that bee. There's so much talent. Your blocks are just amazing. I can't wait to see how you structure your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning blocks! Isn't that mini just the business? Paper piecing isn't for everyone, but good on you for sticking with it! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. That phone box is my favorite. All the pay phones were taken out of my city. But, if we had lovely red phone boxes, I'm sure they wouldn't have gone anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  12. designing paper pieced blocks? can't even think of that at this point.

    i attempted my first block (blogged today) and it didn't come out great, but i love it. you have been quite an inspiration to me with the paper piecing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I remember that red dress with the collar. And when Granny Smith was driving and describing something, her hand was off the steering wheel making the shape in the air with her hand, and the car was doing the same shape on the road. She was 96 on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My friend Amanda (msmcporkchop) and I were talking the other day saying that everything in quilting land is just a re-do of something that's already been done... EXCEPT the Ringo Pie group. Those are amazing! And the hexagons are gorgeous... really.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These blocks are so special and you are well deserving of all you have received. Kerry's hexagons...see why I am intimidated?

    ReplyDelete
  16. A very talented group! I think your grandmother sounds wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They are such great blocks but I'm with you on the paper piecing - don't enjoy it all!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like foundation piecing but find some picture blocks a bit convoluted (good word eh?)...I would also be scared witless by Ringo Pie , there is some seriously good stuff coming out of that.
    Granny Smith - great name for a character grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  19. First, there are some wonderful blocks in the Ringo Pie Flickr group--lots of great inspiration. I understand how you feel, since there are some expert quilters in my Baker's Dozen exchange group. It's those more experienced and creatively talented quilters that have helped me to learn and grow. My blocks will probably never be the best in the exchange, but I strive for them to be my personal best. Initially, I too hated paper piecing. Now that I realize the things you can do with it that you can't easily do with traditional piecing, I've grown to appreciate paper piecing. Your Big Little George block is a great example.

    Hint: I've learned that using fabulous fabrics will make the most humble blocks look better.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this bee - and I feel the same way as you but have to stick it our to stay in this cool gang :-)
    And I have your block ready to mail - and finally got Hope's cd to send with it!! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I left a comment yesterday but it hasn't showed up- so glad you like them but don;t feel you need to use the hexies if they don't fit. I think I might have to go on a mission to make paper piecing accessible to all- I love it so much - although I confess not the foundation stuff. I saw Randi's 1st attempt and it was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I feel your pain in Ringo Pie (well, not really because I'm not in that cool gang) but if I were in the bee, I would be feeling your pain with all that designing and paper piecing angst. You need to give yourself some credit Lynne - your blocks have been fabulous!!

    Did you save yourself a Penguin block from your sister's quilt to include in your classics?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I totally feel the same way as you about this bee Lynne--I am incredibly humbled every month by all of the amazingness. I just came over here after seeing Ayumi's block--I mean seriously!?!--The ladies in this group are some serious rockstars.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well done for keeping going with the Ringo Pie - it sounds like hard work - although I have seen some of the results and been blown away by all the creativity. Wow Kerry's Mary Quant dress is a wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These blocks are fabulous - this will be one very special quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment away peeps :-)