1. Lay out one whole circle of 21 dresden leaves on the table to decide on your layout. Mine has seven fabrics repeating three times although yours doesn't need to.
2. I sort mine into three piles of seven so I can keep track of what goes where.
3. I chain piece the leaves in pairs feeding one pair into the machine straight after the previous pair to avoid stopping and starting seams.
4. Then I sew two of the pairs together and the remaining single pairs with the remaining single leaves and keep going until the whole circle is made. Flip over and check everything is in the right place.
5. Place right side down on the ironing board and press all seams anti-clockwise.
TOP TIP: DO NOT PANIC if your dresden is not perfectly flat but has a little bulge. Each one of mine has had a little bulge and this rights itself when pieced into the circle.
6. Now measure the diameters of the inner and outer circle. Here the inner circle measures 7".
And the outer circle measures 25". The inner and outer templates are now designed with a selection of diameters on them and there are also instructions on how to make your own templates in this post: