ET phone home - the quilt block template

You remember this block?  It is 12" square finished and is foundation paper pieced in 8 templates which are sewn into pairs then those pairs sewn into pairs then the two halves sewn together to make one block.  If you make this block, I'd love to see it in my Flickr group.

ET phone home

Well here is the template.  It is printable onto A4 paper.  Anyone with US letter size paper, let me know if it prints to size or if I need to make a US letter paper version.  To access the template, click through to the google docs hosted version.  Set your printer so it does not scale.  I set mine to "A4 borderless", print and check that the triangle on the left is 6" tall.  And thank you to Sandi from piecemeal quilts who very kindly stopped to explain that for those who need to print it on US 8 1/2" x 11" paper, you can download the file (click File and then Download) to save it on your computer, then open the file. This way you're looking at it in Adobe Reader where you have more control, rather than the web browser. In Reader, click File and then Print. In the window that pops up, change the Page Scaling drop down box to "None" then click OK to print the sheet. The test square should then measure exactly 1".
Although I will not be teaching you foundation paper piecing in this post (you can learn that technique in my Big Little George tutorial), I will nevertheless give you a few pointers to help you with this block:

1.   Add 1/4" seam allowance all around each of the templates when trimming.  For extra wiggle room when finishing the block, add 1/2" seam allowance around those sides of the templates that will be the outside perimeter of the finished block.

2.   Piece four of each template then piece them into pairs.  Pin at each triangle corner as matching those points is important.

3.   Always start your seam in the centre of the block, working your way out to the outside of the block since matching the centre of the block is the important part.

4.   Press all seams open to allow for a tidier centre.

5.   For the final seam attaching one half of the block to the other, slide a pin vertically through the two centre points of those half blocks, lift over to the machine, slide the pin out and the needle in and sew half the block seam, from the centre out, remembering also to pin the matching triangle points.  Flip and sew the remaining half, again matching triangle points.  This will help your centre points to match.

Comments

  1. Love this block, a paper piecing challenge! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the template - it is such a cool block. I'm sure I could never get the center to lay flat with all those seams coming togetehr, but I'm going to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the templetes.I`m going to give it a try.!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic block Lynne, thanks for sharing the templates!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tank you for sharing such a super block. I am in the U.S. and I printed using the Actual Size option for my printer and it is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. FINALLY I can stop drawing wonky angles on pieces of graph paper! Although the scaling up is still going to kill me a little bit. I am off right now to sew ET the Evil Genius. Just as soon as I clear the Liberty HSTs that are 4-deep over my entire workroom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing the templates. I think I might cut it all apart and use it for some soothing EPP first, though. I really need more hand sewing projects. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great block. I just can't get my head round this kind of paper piecing. It's like I start reading instructions and they're in a foreign language lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The printer is cranking them out as I type xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm, I'm printing on letter size paper using Actual Size and the bottom margin isn't big enough so the bottom of the left side piece is getting cut off. Any ideas? I love this block! Try using the freezer-paper-paper piecing method; no pesky paper to remove at the end and the freezer paper stabilizes the fabric. There'a great tutorial for it on the blog ThatQuilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chay you are a no reply comment blogger so I can't reply by email to your comment. Can you reduce the margins for your printing - select "borderless" perhaps?

      Delete
  11. Great block - thanks so much for sharing the template.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I printed this off on US letter paper and the test square is 1/8" small. That would make the finished block a little smaller than 12" finished I think, but not enough to prevent me from making this block. Thanks so much for sharing. Can't wait to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. For those who need to print it on US 8 1/2" x 11" paper, you can download the file (click File and then Download) to save it on your computer, then open the file. This way you're looking at it in Adobe Reader where you have more control, rather than the web browser. In Reader, click File and then Print. In the window that pops up, change the Page Scaling drop down box to "None" then click OK to print the sheet. The test square should then measure exactly 1".

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can create a re-useable template if you trace it onto freezer paper and create each segment added to which you don't have to rip the paper away from the seams if you sew through the paper

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for making a template, I will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for sharing the templates, it's a splendid block! I'm thinking of hand piecing it...I could be at it some time but I'll have plenty of fun with some freezer paper templates and a pencil! I just need to get all my hexies pieced and I can start...so in about November you'll see my first block!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lynne! This is wonderful. I want to make a whole quilt with this block...but we have already packed my printer. As soon as we are settled in Kansas this is the quilt I am going to make. I loved this block from the first moment I saw it on your flickr stream.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohh thank you! I am going to try paper piecing someday, I just need to practice a little first before attempting this beauty! Thank you so much for the template!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, I was admiring this block when you posted it the other day, and wished I could make it too! Thanks so much for making this template available!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Don't tempt me. I have a quilt to finish and a deadline to work to. I do love paper piecing though after the FQR. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks fun! Must craft one up pronto :-D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much for the Template, Lynn - I can't wiat to have a go!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cool, loving all those triangles whose points won't get munched :oD

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for the template, that block is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for sharing this template, Lynne! It's a wonderful block!

    ReplyDelete
  26. i told you i'd pay! thanks for free, though. you are very generous with your tutorials, patterns, and templates.

    will add to the flickr group, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm so glad you did a tutorial for this - maybe I will finally try paper piecing! And, as usual, I love the fabrics you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for the template! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for sharing the template and tips! This block is so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Really like this block and the Amite block on your most recent post. Loving the color scheme. Just an FYI...I printed on 8.5 x 11 with no problem. Thanks for the template and tutorial. I will give it a shot and post. Look forward to seeing what everyone creates from this.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I had a completely different block planned for my July bee quilt...but I think I just changed my mind!!!!! If not, I have it just for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hurray! I was hoping you'd post this as a pattern/tutorial! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for the template Lynne! It’s a great block!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Started sewing this wonderful paper pieced pattern this morning. I got my first section done and love it! Thank you for the great tutorial! I'll post a picture when finished. I'm making a pillow for my daughter's room.

    ReplyDelete
  35. One question...do you take the paper pieces off before sewing the sections together? I usually do but not sure if this is the correct way. Maybe it is more of a preference.

    ReplyDelete
  36. How did I miss this post? I just noticed it after seeing the beautiful blocks posted on Flickr. Oh, I remember now, we had an impromptu birthday party that day for my sister who was unexpectedly in town.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you for this lovely pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you so much! Really love this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  39. i'm finally printing out my templates so i can work on this tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I've been seeing this come up in the do good stitches group and thinking how lovely it is and trying to work out how to make it, and then I've just realised it is one of yours! You are clever, Lynne. And now I can make it too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment away peeps :-)