Fancy sewing along with me?

I bought this 12 Trees Oakshott kit yesterday because my Mum loves it and so I will make it for her for her birthday.  I've had to ban her from the blog for the next few weeks so she doesn't know what her birthday present is although the combination of her telling me she loves this kit and me then banning her from the blog may well give her quilt a big fat hint.  If you haven't tried Oakshott shot cottons before, then you are in for a treat.  For my money the most luxurious and highest quality shot cottons on the market anywhere in the world right now, they have a beautiful sheen, change colour in different light and from different directions and are as soft as Liberty Lawn.  A luxury alternative to solids in modern quilting.  
This kit comes with a set of 25 F8s and the pattern, all packaged up beautifully in a smart little black bag, and arrived the day after I ordered it.  Although you make this quilt to a pattern supplied with it, the trees are free pieced so every quilt will be different.  


Since I'm going to be working my way through this quilt over the next few weeks, I wondered if anyone fancied playing along with me.  Let me know if you are interested - even if there are only a handful of us, it will be fun to share progress, tips and pictures.  You can buy the kit here and, if you are outside the European Union, VAT of 20% will be taken off the cost of the kit.  Mailing to the US costs £13.50 and goes by priority Fedex so will arrive very quickly.  Here is my first block.


And I am more than happy to help any beginners with the process of free piecing, tips for making this quilt, finding solutions to problems, advising on techniques etc.  If you've been waiting to try making a quilt or waiting to try improv and free piecing, here's a chance to give it a go with me here to hold your hand along the way.  If you fancy playing along, leave me a comment and it will be fun to feature everyone's progress here on the blog.  If there are enough of us, I might even venture to make us a little blog button!

Comments

  1. I knew you wouldn't be able to resist for long. It's nice that's there's some free piecing involved. Such beautiful colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's one of my faves! But I have way too much on at the mo :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll pass on this QAL, but I love the trees, and thanks for the link, what a great site Oakshott is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I won't be able to sew along but I will be watching with interest and doing the odd bit of cheering! Love your first block!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is going to be gorgeous! What a lucky Mom you have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will duck the QAL but will be following your progress with interest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool. I'd be tempted to stick something whimsical in all of those branches...a stray leaf, a squirl, a tiny bird.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of these shot cottons. I looked at their website a bit ago, but I think there might be a divorce on the cards if I buy any more fabric just now!
    Otherwise I would join you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am so incredibly jealous of your stack of Oakshott that i just might spit! great pattern and i can't wait to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know me, Lynne. I'm buried in WIPs, so I'm in spectator mode. I know your mom's quilt will be fabulous - the shots look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cool, love the free pieced trees

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a good daughter to suffer through working on a project with such fine fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is really pretty. Love the fall colors. I'm sure your mum will love it. I won't tell.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh boy is this ever tempting! I looooove a good tree.

    ReplyDelete
  15. those are gorgeous!! i'd love to join in, but then i'd be breaking my resolution. more finishes, less starts...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is there a noticeable different between these and Kaffe Fassett shot cottons? I love the looks of this quilt kit. I might be interested!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah you found Michael. Isn't he charming ! I have used Oakshotts for a while now and love love love them. My Bee quilt 'A story in Red and White' is all Oakshotts. Enjoy. The stuff is feathery light.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a gorgeous design! Look forward to seeing progress on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a lovely quilt - I'd love to be doing it, but other things are screaming at me first - I'd probably do it with hand dyed's though

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful fabrics!! I love you block, this is going to be lovely!
    I can't join in unfortunately but I will definitely be getting some Oakshott!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE those Oakshott fabrics - I saw them in reality at the FOQ last year, and had to drag myself away from the stand because my credit card couldn't take it...! Would love to join in, but have too much on just now. Will enjoy seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I so want some of those fabrics, we will see if I can resist, even knowing the huge amount of duty that is added onto the cost when it arrives here.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can see why you are making this quilt! Lovely fabrics/colors and an interesting tree pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would love to join you on this. I bought this quilt kit at a Stitching Show in November and I have been too afraid to cut into it in case I make a mess. I am very much a beginner so I will be looking to you for lots of advice.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Damn why did I never learn to sew. Why am I not your mother. ooh spooky, that would make me my own mother. better be careful what I wish for. Anyway she will love it, lucky devil. I mean dragon.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love those trees Lynne. My 11 yr old daughter bought a kit from Oakshot at the Knitting and Stitching show in Dublin in November to make a sunflower bag and I bought a kit to make a laptop bag. Their fabrics are so good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment away peeps :-)