Mixing Things Up--Guest Post

I’m Kati, and I blog over at from the blue chair. I was so thrilled when Lynne asked me to participate in her QAL and put my own twist on her pattern.  I’ve admired her work since I came across her double circle of geese (which I have yet to attempt).

My immediate thought was to create a Dresden with petals that were strip-pieced.  My initial plan was to only do one Dresden as a mini quilt, but then it grew to four Dresdens and a much larger quilt.  I also cut squares to make half-square triangles for an additional outer border.


I seldom make quilts from patterns, and even when I do I tend to mix things up quite a bit.  This quilt was no different.  I had one plan in mind when I started, but it soon changed into something very different.  I realized the four Dresden circles together weren’t working for me.  It was going to be a very large quit, especially with the HST borders I had planned.  I decided to break everything down and make changes.  Instead of doing four circles, I chose to focus my quilt design on just one circle.  As I had already cut the pieces for all four Dresdens, I was left with 63 petals from the three remaining circles.  I changed plans and rearranged them for the quilt back instead using the layout from Oh, Frannson’s New Wave pattern.


I debated quite a bit on the final design for the quilt front.  I had about 300 HSTs pieced and ready.  After trying out various designs, I ultimately went with this design I first saw from Red Pepper Quilts.  I love how the focus is on the Dresden circle, yet the arrangement of the HSTs creates an interesting secondary design.  A bit of trial and error went into piecing this correctly with the block set on point.



My finished quilt looks much different than my original plans.  I love the process of designing a quilt.  I tend to arrange and rearrange the quilt components multiple times.  My design wall (which is simply a large piece of felt tacked to the wall) is critical during this process.  The final result is a quilt that is uniquely mine while using others ideas and patterns and a springboard for my design.

Thanks again to Lynne for giving me this challenge using the basics of her QAL to create something that is unique and shows my personal quilting style.

Comments

  1. I like the way you went with how the design was growing, v organic! The shifting around but using the same basic elements makes it all flow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning! Love the way the eye is drawn into the Dresden circle and great idea to strip piece the petals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you changed the design as you went. The strip pieced blades look lovely and the wave design on the back is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooooooly moly. Gorgeous, creative, beautiful, inspiring....Thanks for sharing your process, Kati!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, this leaves me speechless! Gorgeous front with a magnificent back! You clever thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowza Kati - the Stargate has turned out brilliantly! I love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful, and I love the deeper grey that lets your colours pop out, and really really like the wave pattern! Kx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This turned outbeautifully! I always like reading about the design process it's very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thoroughly loved this post and the progression of the Dresden plate to the final setting!! WOW

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this Kati! Looks great. You are a very talented woman. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!! What talent! Abolutely beautiful work! Especially love the New Wave pattern with the gray!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simply amazing - I really love the way you used the wedges to make the wave panel

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your quilt. Love that this QAL has given so many different quilts from one pattern. Way to go Lynne for inspiring so many to try different things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Totally amazing! Thank you for sharing all of your process too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the scrappyness of your design! I wouldn't know which side of the quilt to use, they are both gorgeous - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! This is absolutely fabulous. I love the way you were able to switch course and find a new direction for your design. Thank you for sharing the entire process.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How amazing! I always appreciate when folks share process and product. This post reminded me of a Ginzu knife commercial in the best way--BUT WAIT! There's more! Kudos, Kati!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Are you kidding me? This is amazing! I can't believe you pieced all of that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wowzers!! Truly an amazing take on the design!

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW! That is stunning! I love all of the HST's framing the center circle. And the new wave back is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! Kati, this is incredible. What a great twist on Lynne's design!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this! and hearing how your design morphs over the its life strikes a bell with me too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the colors and the idea! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Kati, this is amazing! It looks great. I love how you changed it up as you went to get something that you really love.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amazing, beautiful quilt. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is absolutely gorgeous, both the front and the back. It was great to read about the design "process."

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a fabulous twist on Lynne's quilt along! I can't decide which I love the most - the front or the back :) It's so refreshing to see a mix of many different ideas and blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Crazy exciting!!! Wow, wow, wow.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Loved this post. Thanks for the peek into your thought process. It really was valuable. Oh...and I love the quilt you ended up with.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What an evolution!! Love both the front and back!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love it -- not only did you go your own way on something we were all doing, but you made it work for you in a different way as well. I think both sides look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh wow, Kati this is just gorgeous! You did a tremendous job. I have admired that same Red Pepper quilt. You did such a great job combining all your different inspirations to create something totally unique!

    ReplyDelete
  33. It looks wonderful and thanks for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is just stunning!! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow, Kati, it looks stunning! I love the background, too.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow Katie...I love seeing how you moved through the process of designing your quilt, and I love how it turned out!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. thank you for letting us peek at your process along the way. your quilt is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love the variation of the New Wave quilt!! I never thought of using smaller bits, but it looks tremendous...and love the darker off-setting fabric, too!

    Shanna

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment away peeps :-)