Big Little George gets pointy

The first section of Big Little George can be found two posts ago and progress shots can be posted in the Flickr group here.  Time to get pointy.  Cut out the A template and choose fabrics for the points as well as one or more background fabrics.  

TOP TIP: you cannot use the same piece of paper that you cut your B templates from as the templates overlap so you need to print four more at this point.  

You are going to follow exactly the same process as with the B strip but note that you start on the left this time.  It's not catastrophic if you start on the right but I alternate so that seams point in different directions when you join A and B.  Remember, the finished thing will be a reverse of what's on the template so A1 will be on the right rather than the left.  Here is what we are aiming for.


1.   Start with scrap of background fabric bigger than the background wedge next to A1.  Pin, glue or just hold it to the back of the paper, right side facing away from the paper, making sure it covers the whole of the first background wedge shape all the way to the dotted seam allowance line and the edges of the paper template.  Then pick your first triangle fabric and pin or hold it against the first dotted seam line for A1.


2.   Sew along the seam line using a short stitch.


3.   Fold the triangle fabric over and press.


4.   Trim the triangle fabric roughly making sure it covers the whole of A1 all the way to the dotted seam lines and the edges of the paper template.


5.   Now add the next background wedge, lining up along the dotted seam allowance line, right side facing towards the paper.


6.   Sew the next seam along the solid line, flip, press, trim and onto the next one.  Continue in this way, adding a background wedge then a coloured triangle then a background wedge then a coloured triangle until the whole template is covered.  


7.   Cut away excess fabric along the lines of the paper template.  Tear paper along sewing line perforations.  This time you will have tiny little triangles of paper to remove as well - tweezers can help with these.  Remove any excess facial hair at the same time - at my age this can creep up on you and needs a close watch.  Really just testing to see whether anyone has read this far.  And VOILA - you have Big Little George's pointy bits.  

Comments

  1. I promise I read it all!
    your on a roll - love the red

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a sauce! I will do the other blog post for your QAL next week when I have sewn it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a happy post to wake up to this morning! I cleaned up my sewing space yesterday so I could sit down and sew with a clear conscious. Now I must fish for scraps to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the red and your pointy points.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Later, later ... I can see the catastrophic mayhem and unpicking this will create, even without polishing my crystal ball!

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. I wasn't going to comment on your 'tache, but seeing as you mentioned it first...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been busy piecing another quilt, but I'm going to hunker down and get this one started! I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the look of your piece with the black background. Hopefully, I can get to this later today, after my volunteer work. I can't wait to see those on Flickr.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As soon as I finish my last binding, this is getting whipped up tonight - I am behind. But I paper piece a lot, so should go quickly. You have very nice tutorials that beginners should have no prolem following. I love how you color coded your templates.

    ReplyDelete
  10. working on mine and will post to flickr when completed

    ReplyDelete
  11. I started these little gems at 6.30, it is gone 11, I have just finished - NEVER AGAIN - call me the dumbest of the dumb, I DON'T CARE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love quilts with points!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Was the facial hair comment really necessary? Surely you jest. Cos you always do. Facial hair? bah!

    ReplyDelete
  14. As Flying Blind predicted...lots of mayhem and unpicking all afternoon. You would think a 52 year old woman could follow instructions better than that! But it's done and I'm having a ball. Bring on the rest and I'll see if I can persevere.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Using a lazy Saturday afternoon to try one of these in my 'signature' colours. Have to draft my own pattern cos no access to a printer...reverted to my trusty Mariner's Compass book! Facial hair! What til the little buggers try white...then you know you've got facial hair!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment away peeps :-)