Are you bored of Union Jacks...

...you can probably tell that I am not bored of Union Jacks.  Nancy made this beautiful block and has allowed me to post it here.  She made a useful suggestion about the tutorial which is that, if you were not restricted to layer cake slices, the process would be speeded up by strip piecing the white-red-white stripes.  She also mentioned that, in the real flag, the white strips on the diagonal are different widths.  In fact, there are many British "Union Flag" (as it is properly called) enthusiasts who make a sport of spotting the flag being flown the wrong way up (we're a little odd over here).  I think it looks prettier with even coloured white strips and, for me, pretty is more important than technically, flagically (a made up word) correct.

Comments

  1. Who could get bored of these interesting quilt squares?! The next Old Red Barn quilt a long is an asterisk quilt and you are getting me totally pumped to get going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynne - if you would like to feed your passion for Union Jacks please pop by my blog - I'm having a Union Jack Giveaway.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always think the Stars and Stripes of the US Flag is much prettier visually than our Union Jack. I have worked with the Stars and Stripes pattern on my ceramic pieces but never the Union Jack - maybe I'm a closet American!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How could I be bored with a time honored lovely design. Darling! How on earth did I get to show 23 posts from you in my google reader. That can't be true! Or am I that incredibly behind??

    ReplyDelete
  5. OKay I loved these blocks I kept seeing in Flickr... then I came over and then you mentioned the real Union Jack ... so I go wiki the Union Jack (how to draw) and booom!
    a. yours is cuter
    b. now Im a bit obsessed with the 1606 version
    (maybe a henry or Elizabeth quilt? idk)
    man oh man, too many quilts to make.Im still putting this on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that pretty is better than flagically correct! The symmetry and diagonals of your Union Jack make it look so pretty in all color combinations. The grey and white pillow on your Flickr group, featuring six Union Jacks, is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think they look great and I am really impressed with your tutorial. Looking forward to trying them if you decide on these for your August Bee block. Probably won't be making a quilt of them myself though (I grew up in Ireland!!). Am off to the V& A museum soon to see the exhibition in the flesh.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment away peeps :-)