A new block and an old quilt

When pictures of Mama Said Sew, Sweetwater's new line for Moda, started appearing on the internet, I knew I had to get my hands on some now and lots more later.  For now I managed to find a F8 bundle online but will be investing in serious yardage when it hits the stores in August.  This line is text print and blender heaven.  A whole series of fabulous text prints, perfect dots, pinwheels, wonderful bias gingham, ricrac and more.  It comes in black, snow, grey and red and every combination of those colours.  Thank you as always to Fat Quarter Shop for posting the best pics of fabric lines on their website which I regularly shamelessly steal but hope they will forgive me when I buy the majority of their Mama Said Sew stock this summer.

I have made two things with it so far but can only show you one today (I'll be showing you the other on Wednesday when I have given it to someone secret for their birthday.  If she's reading this, she'll have a sneaky little heads up as to what I've made her gift from.  Luckily, I think she has better things to do with her time than read some of the drivel I write).  Anyway, this block is for Tiffany in Stash Trad Bee, a bee where we make traditional blocks from stash.  It is called Crown of Thorns and is a 15" block so it's quite easy to get those points to line up.  I mixed two fabrics from Mama Said Sew with some Kona PFD.  I love the blocks we make in this bee - I think it is just about the perfect bee for me - traditional blocks in modern fabrics.  I could happily make blocks like this all day long.  And I could happily sew with Mama Said Sew all day long.  It is pretty much a perfect fabric line.

Stash Trad Bee Block for Tiffany

And about that old quilt.  Pretty much this time last year, I was wrestling quilting a 100" x 100" quilt on my domestic machine.  Lizzie Allen, friend of this blog and friend of Fat Quarterly, has just started a series of blogposts on monster mahusive quilts and you can find out more about the making of this Portrait Wall quilt in my guest post over on her blog today (admittedly it went live yesterday but I got sidetracked with making lunch for the kids, playing table tennis on the kitchen table and playing with Sweetwater and forgot to post about it in a timely fashion.    


Comments

  1. The fabric looks like a real must, I'm sure FQS will be pleased with the free advertising. My son is in Florida for a couple of months, I wonder if he can bring me some back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tut Tut. Lynne should try harder in class. *sniggers*
    I am seriously tempted to buy a FQ bundle of Mama Said Sew to add to my red/black/white stash. One day I might just get to making a quilt with my r/b/w stash!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I think I'm going to have to get some of that texty print in yardage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great square - definitely makes me want to add that fabric to my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, your stash trad bee looks veeeery nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the drivel you write because...A. you dont write drivel...B. you always manage to make me lol!!!
    I'm right now having major stash envy, I will be on your tail when you buy the majority of fqs' mss stock! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yummy fabric
    And many will be interested in your monster quilt - portrait wall!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm already drooling over this line too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am such a huge Sweetwater fan, to the point where it seems that their lines are the only ones I use anymore. I keep telling myself, "next project I MUST branch out!" but then they come out with a new "must have" line. Seriously, what's a girl to do?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely block, as you know, I love this fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember Lizzie's mahoosive quilt from FQR. It was a monster!

    Lynne thank you for your email re: my "no reply blogger" status - I have tried to fix it but I am not sure at all if it has worked or not...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that block!!! Off to read your interview!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The block looks great. Gotta love those prints, going to check out the interview =D

    Last day to enter my giveaway. If you haven't entered already today is your last chance =D
    http://ibescheraldine.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/official-150th-post-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this fabric line too! I will definitely be getting some when the yardage is released. I am trying to build a stash, slowly but surely. There are a lot of brilliant potential additions in Mama Said Sew.

    ReplyDelete
  15. that 'mama said sew' line is total yum!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment away peeps :-)